Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Burned Cork Gift Card Tins

Burned Cork Gift Card Tins

Hi! Dana Tatar here today sharing a fun way to alter metal tins. As both the sports season and school year come to a close, I find myself giving a lot of gift cards to the teachers and coaches that have helped my daughters over the year. Instead of tucking the gift cards into an envelope, I decided to upcycle some metal tins. I used some of my favorite Paper Wings Productions stamp sets and a wood burning tool to embellish pieces of cork. I love using my wood burning tool on soft materials like cork and leather.

Hello Kitty Metal Cookie Tins Before Altering

Here's what my metal tins looked like before I started this project. The bottom half of the tins are a solid color, so I chose to leave that portion of the tin untouched and focus my efforts on covering the top of the tin.

How to Apply Fabric Tape to Metal Tins

Metal can be tricky to cover with paint, so instead I applied a strip of fabric tape around edge of the lid.

How to Stamp on Cork with Archival Ink

Next, I cut pieces of cork to size and stamped designs onto them using archival ink.

How to Use a Wood Burning Tool on Cork

Once I was happy with the designs, I used a wood burning tool to trace over the stamped images.

How to Attach a Burned Cork Piece to a Metal Tin

Finally, I simply used hot glue to attached the burned cork pieces to the top of the metal tins. I love the look of burned cork. I plan to wrap a piece of colorful ribbon around each tin before I give them away. Markers work great on cork, and would be a great way to add color to the burned designs.

Je'Taime Floral Burned Cork Gift Card Tin

Sprinkle Magic Fairy Burned Cork Gift Card Tin


Paper Wings Productions Supplies:
Hanging Stars Clear Stamp Set
Fairies Clear Stamp Set
Paris Clear Stamp Set
Evening Primrose Cling Stamp Set
Mexican Hat Cling Stamp Set
Black Eyed Susan Cling Stamp Set
Bluebonnet Cling Stamp Set

Other Supplies: Metal Tins, Cork Sheet, Archival Ink, Fabric Tape. Wood Burning Tool

Pin It!

Burned Cork Gift Card Tin Tutorial


2 comments:

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...