Monday, December 17, 2012

Mixed Media Monday - Joy to the World

Happy Monday, Norma G. here!! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend with your family and friends.  I got to catch up with some friends and even did a little shopping here and there.  It's hard to believe that Christmas is only one week away, YIKES!!  I still have a bit more shopping to do and a whole lot of wrapping ahead of me.

Alright, it's time for one of my very favorite things, a little Mixed Media fun!

This week I have a cute little altered box to share with you:


This is a small wooden box that I found at Michaels.  It was on clearance for .84 because the lid is broken off.  I've been wanting to create a shadow box project for awhile and knew that this little box would be perfect.  I used a TON of different materials to create multiple layers of beautiful details on this piece.

I started with the Sleigh Cling Stamp.  You can also find this image in the Winter Cling Stamp Set.  I stamped the sleigh on some plastic packaging with Stazon.  (I really like when I can upcycle something that would normally just go in the trash.)  I left a lip on both the top and bottom so I could adhere it the box.  Next I started working on the box, I used Golden Gel Medium to attach vintage sheet music to the inside of three sides.  I attached a scrap piece of blue scrapbook paper for the top.  Then I randomly stamped snowflakes in various shades of blue on the sheet music.  For a little sparkle, I applied a thin layer of glue and sprinkled Blue Diamond Fairy Dust.

For the bottom I used a scrap of beautiful gold sequence fabric.  I like the way the sequence reflects off of the plastic and adds a beautiful effect to the background.

A winter scene wouldn't be complete without some trees right?!  I used the trees from the Pines Cling Stamp Set.  I stamped the larger tree with Close To My Heart ink in Ponderosa Pine and embossed with Green Tinsel.  For the smaller tree, I used Tim Holtz Iced Spruce Distress Ink and embossed with Antique Gold.  I fussy cut both trees leaving a lip on the bottom for attaching to the box.

Here's another look into the box.  So with the inside complete, I began working on all of the little details that finish off the project.

I created a cute little snowflake banner to hang on the top with my sewing machine.  I really wish I had a circle punch for this part but since I don't, I had to improvise ;D  I used my Cricut George cartridge to cut four 3/4" circles and four 1/2" circles.  Next I stamped various snowflakes with varying shades of blue and embossed with Blue Tinsel.  Then I carefully ran the circles through my sewing machine to create the banner.

For the angel, I used the Build A Shrine Stamp Set, she's stamped in CTM Black ink and embossed with Antique Gold.  I used a white gel pen to highlight the wings and TH Distress markers to color in her face.  For the star, I used a gold gel pen.  I also flanked the angel with a stamp from the Flourish Elements Cling Stamp Set.  I cut the banner with the Cricut Stand & Salute cartridge and it's cut at 1".  The sentiment is from the Wise Men Cling Stamp Set and is embossed in black.  The edges of the banner are distressed with TH Old Paper Distress Ink.

I added silver tinsel around all of the edges, some sheer ribbon, miniature snowflake ornaments, bling and beaded trim to complete the project.

The tag is from my stash, I like the pop of red plus it kinda pulls out the red thread on the snowflake banner.

Here's one last look at my little altered Christmas box :D  If you'd like to recreate this box, you could use any box you have lying around like, you could even add a little battery operated tea light in the inside.

Okay here's a recap of the supplies I used on this project:
5x5x2.5 box
Vintage Sheet Music & Blue Scrapbook Paper 
Blue Diamond Fairy Dust
Gold Sequence Fabric
Plastic
Inks: Close to My Heart Black & Ponderosa Pine, Tim Holtz Old Paper & Iced Spruce Distress Ink, Color Box Aqua & Glacier Ice
Embossing Powders: Green & Blue Tinsel, Black and Antique Gold
Gel Pens: White & Gold
Tim Holtz Distress Marker: Scattered Straw
Cricut Cartridges: George & Stand & Salute
Beaded trim, sheer ribbon, silver tinsel trim, bling & miniature snowflake ornaments
3-D embellishment tag
Golden Gel Medium, Glossy Accents, Elmers glue and Beacon 3-1 Craft Glue

Don't forget to enter the Pin your wish list contest, you have til the 20th to enter.  Just click on the link for all the details!!

Thank you so much for joining us today!  We love reading your comments so keep them coming!!  You can also share your beautiful creations with us on Flickr, so don't be shy!!

Have a Beautiful Day!!!



11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous box Norma! I love all the stamps, especially the sleigh on the clear packaging. Thanks for the inspiration! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very beautiful box, Norma. I love all the little bits and pieces you use to create your wonderful works of art. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece to re-purpose and what a great price! LOL!! Love what you created - it's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great. I love all of the details. I'm always so amazed to see what you come up with and then I think, "I never thought of that". thanks for the great inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shadowbox love all the details

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much everyone, I'm happy to hear that you liked my project!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous, love all the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Norma...Norma...Norma...YOU are just tooooo Awesome!!!! LoveLoveLove your piece. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - Norma, what a stunning scene - amazing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, this is absolutely stunning!! What a gorgeous scene you've created, Norma!! It's fabulous!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! I LOVE the sleigh on the clear plastic! I have been saving (hording) all these plastic containers. Now I have I have more ideas for projects to use them on! :)

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...